Thursday, December 22, 2011

The One That I Want by Jennifer Echols



Rating: 2/5


When I first noticed this book on Goodreads, I paid no attention to the title or the description. I only had eyes for the author's name: Jennifer Echols. Jennifer Echols is a big deal to me when it comes to the YA romance genre. So, when I saw that she authored this novel I just knew it was going to be good. No, let me rephrase that: I just assumed it was going to be good. And we all know what happens when we assume. 


For a YA novel published in 2011 (sorry to say, but the standards for a good YA novel these days have lowered tremendously), it wasn't horrible. I even enjoyed it a bit. But, for a YA novel written by Jennifer Echols? Bleh. The ending was cheese (and I'm not talking cute cheese, I'm talking If I Have A Wicked Stepmother Where's My Prince cheese) and felt kind of rushed. Now, this is just my opinion. You really have to see for yourself. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. If you really just have to read a book about a girl lusting after her best friend's boyfriend while said best friend turns out to be a rhymes-with-witch, then I would recommend Something Like Fate (Susane Colasanti) or The Unwritten Rule (Elizabeth Scott) or even Sometimes it Happens (Lauren Barnholdt....and we all know I don't have too high an opinion of her writing, so that's saying something). My point is that since there are plenty more novels out there with similar story lines, you can skip this one. 


Oh but wait! There was one thing I liked about this novel: the main character's journey from overweight to healthy. Although we don't get to actually witness this journey, we do get to see the before and after. Her weight was an important part of the story, and it was a part that I liked and could relate to. That part alone was enough to give this two stars, but not enough to make me like this novel. The bad outweighed the good. Echols needs to step up her game and quit slacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...